Friday, June 20, 2008

San Jose


We stayed our first 3 nights in Costa Rica in San Jose. San Jose had great weather - it was about 75 degrees each day, much better than the 90 + in Atlanta over the summer. There was an occasional shower or two in the afternoon. Usually light, but one day there was quite a downpour for about 3 hours. So, our first 3 days we stayed at a cute bed and breakfast called Casa 69. Yes, Casa 69 was really the name of it. The prices were good, the rooms were clean, and the staff was great. If you are coming to see us and you need to stay a night in San Jose, I highly recommend there. San Jose though as a whole, I did not like. It was dirty. I've never been to Detroit, nor do I ever plan on visiting, but I envision San Jose being a tropical Detroit. I felt like my lungs were black after the first day from all the exhaust. I don't really have too much to say about San Jose, other than the veiw from atop our hotel was of mountains and that's where I wanted to be.
We were going to rent a car from an ex mechanic from the states, but things started getting kind of sketchy so we bailed on that idea. We figure we will just rent a car when we need one and take taxis if we can't walk somewhere. The driving here is pretty crazy. Riding in the taxis in San Jose was kind of like a roller coaster. I never felt unsafe, but it was definately crazy and I was glad I wasn't the one driving. If you don't know where you are going and are driving in San Jose, good luck. The potholes were not as bad as I had expected, but lanes...what lanes? You make your own. Merging? As long as it's not a bus, you force your way over- eventually one of you will have to give, so just assume it will be the other person and keep going. Oh and if you are driving, the pedestrians will stop for you. Crossing a street on foot? Run. Also if you are behind the wheel please note that it is required to use your horn at least once every 3 minutes, not I say at least once...more is strongly encouraged.

No comments: