Sunday, August 10, 2008

Winding up


I fractured my tailbone. On a waterslide. Who else would come to Costa Rica and break their tailbone on a waterslide. At least I got a glimpse into the medical care in Costa Rica...which is basically the same as the US, except no waiting and cheaper.
We left Manuel Antonio and came to Jaco, which I like to call the Panama City Beach of Costa Rica. 2 days in, I decided my tailbone was not getting any better, and instead of waiting till I got home, where I wouldn't have health insurance right away, I better just get it checked out here. We went to the clinic in town and I was walking out the door 20 minutes later. We walked in and they took me straight to the xray room. The doctor said I had a small fracture and that there wasn't really anything that could be done for it. He handed me the xrays to take with me and said if the pain got worse or doesn't start to feel any better in a few months to come back. Everything came to the grand total of $50. In the states I'm sure I would have been out $500 and 4 hours of my time. And I would not have gotten to keep the xrays of my ass. While leaving the doctor, we saw the dentist's office. We decided to go in and see how much a teef cleaning would cost. $40 for Don, $40 for me, and $30 for Candler. So we got our teefs polished for $110 with the exact same care we'd get in the US. Yet again for cheaper and less time.
We haven't done anything too exciting in Jaco, just beach, pool, and walking around town. We did go on a hike one day up to an overlook that had a view of the whole town and beach. We went further up the road and found a really cool old abandoned restaurant with an amazing view as well. It was all white with huge Greek colums, and was obviously a very upscale restaurant. It appeared as though it was in the process of being transformed into a hotel.
So we return August 12th, and I think Don will have to drag me onto the plane kicking and screaming. I love it here and am no where near ready to come back. I dread the heat and traffic. Here I have no need for a car or cell phone, and dread the expense of them when I return. I do miss my dogs and friends though, but they can all be brought to Costa Rica. So hop on a plane and someone bring me my dog so I never have to leave.

No comments: